Category Archives: Uncategorized
Read all of our blog posts about Workers’ Compensation on Long Island.
On April 9, 2017, the New York State Senate passed workers compensation reform as part of a hard-fought battle over the state budget. Although the impact of these changes is still being discussed, here is what we know so far. These changes:
- Create an expedited hearing process
- Limit the timeframe for employees to claim temporary benefits to 2.5 years, unless they can prove that they require more time to heal
- Lower the threshold to receive permanent benefits to allow more workers to qualify for them.
- Update the prescription drug formula to include more generic medications
- Create new medical impairment guidelines that updates the amounts that employees can get for an injury
- Add provisions to provide workers compensation coverage for ride share drivers for companies such as Uber and Lyft who are injured on the job
Robert Golan, PC of Golan & Masiakos, LLP has won multiple, recent, rulings favorable to his clients. Mr. Golan, persuaded the appeal panel to overturn a lower court judge's decision that the client was 92% disabled, and agree that the client is 100% permanently and totally disabled–for life. This was crucial to the client because only injured workers with a 100% permanent disability are guaranteed lifetime benefits. If the 92% ruling stood, this would have ended her benefits after 9 years.An insurance company appealed a lower court judge’s opinion that his client lost 30% of the use of his arm, permanently, and argued that it was only 10%. Mr. Golan prevented this appeal by providing doctors to confirm that the client did indeed lose 30% use of the arm permanently, and the appeal panel agreed, affirming the lower court judge's opinion.Mr. Golan also got another client's monetary benefits reinstated when...